WHO declares that the new outbreak of coronavirus is a public health emergency of international importance


WHO declares that the new outbreak of coronavirus is a public health emergency of international importance

Geneva / Washington, January 30, 2020 (PAHO) - Following the recommendation of the Emergency Committee, the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has declared the outbreak of the new coronavirus (2019- nCoV) as a public health emergency of international importance. In China, more than 7,700 cases were confirmed and 170 people died. There are 82 additional confirmed cases in 18 countries.

"It is expected that greater international export of cases may appear in any country. Therefore, all countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management, tracking of cases. contacts and prevention of the spread of infection by 2019-nCoV, and sharing complete data with WHO, "he said.

Dr. Tedros asked the international community to provide support to low and middle income countries to allow their response to this event, as well as to facilitate access to diagnoses, possible vaccines and treatments. "

"Countries should emphasize the reduction of human infection, prevention of secondary transmission and international propagation, and contribute to the international response through multisectoral communication and collaboration and active participation to increase knowledge about the virus and disease, as well as advance research, "he said.

The committee heard representatives of the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China about the current situation and the public health measures being taken. There are currently 7,711 confirmed cases and 12,167 suspected cases across the country. Of the confirmed cases, 1,370 are serious and 170 people have died. Another 124 people have recovered and been discharged from the hospital.

WHO provided an overview of the situation in other countries. There are now 82 additional cases in 18 countries. Of these, only 7 had no history of travel in China. There has been transmission from person to person in three countries outside of China. One of these cases is serious and there have been no deaths.

The level of risk remains high for the Americas
Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Deputy Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), said that “the statement means that the alert level remains very high. The Organization, in its risk assessment, had already indicated that there was a very high risk for China, for its bordering countries, and a high risk for all countries of the world. What changes now is that with this declaration, more international resources can be mobilized to act in China, with the government, to interrupt the transmission where it is happening. ”

0 Comentarios